Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Perfume Diaries

What better way to learn about fragrances than to take a trip through the decades? The Perfume Diaries at Harrods in London offers just that. An interactive exhibit where you can smell ingredients and travel through time. The notables of the past are highlighted without neglecting the fragrances that are hot now.  

Most of us haven't had the opportunity to smell the classics so I wanted to highlight some of the fragrances of the past few decades. I think they are more top of mind and they bring an inevitable stream of memories. 

Revlon's Charlie - Holy Carnation! Cyclamen, lily of the valley, jasmine, and rose... It reminds me of my grandmother...
YSL Rive Gauche - Rive Gauche's floralcy is enhanced by a green aldehydic top and a nice woody ambery back. You will notice one thing: I like jasmine and gardenia. Smell the fragrances below and you'll see the link!

In the 80's Dior Poison was huge - Mmmm a rich floral oriental with a touch of spicy notes and a sensual background. Smells like seduction...
Giorgio Beverly Hills - Yes, I actually wore Giorgio and I still Looove it! How can you not if you grew up in the 80's?! I love the intoxicating combination of gardenia, tuberose, ylang ylang, and jasmine...
We spoke about Love, Chloe when it first came out. I've been wearing it and can attest to it's lovable feeling on skin. It gives me the comfort of wearing powdery musky notes but it's balanced by a nice floralcy and pink pepper which don't make it feel like grandma at all!
I love the confidence perfume gives me... I find it more personal than the clothes and make up I wear, although it's the combination of all of the above that I find so fascinating.

A woman who doesn't wear perfume has not future said Coco Chanel... 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment