Friday, July 16, 2010

American Woman: Featuring a National Identity

On a recent visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I decided to stop by the American Woman exhibit. A magnificent treat was awaiting... 

The Gibson Girl caught my attention first with pleat cotton shirts, plain weaves, and bifurcated skirts. Browns, creams, and blues dominated the palette. The voluptuous wigs, which resembled bird nests, imposed themselves in the room demanding their fair amount of attention. 


The following room, the 1900 Bohemian, quickly drew me in with odalisque-like ensembles in warm tones. Peach and gold silk, ecru needle lace, chiffon, and an incredible collection of shoes. Things were getting better... 


I have to admit that I practically skipped the patriot and suffragist room. The only thing that caught my attention there was a tourist couple kissing. Very sweet, but the Flappers were waiting! This was by far my favorite part of the exhibit. I was flabbergasted by the amount of sparkle around me. Metallic thread, bugle beads, sequins, paillettes, rhinestones… Now, I don’t consider myself to be a bling kind of person, but the designs were extremely delicate and executed with taste.


The security guard kept a close eye on me as I examined the feathers, pearls, charmeuse, and silk brocade…

I caught a glimpse of a peacock pattern as I walked towards the most glamourous part of the exhibit, which featured designs by Lanvin, Molyneux, and Goupt. The walls were covered by screens projecting beautiful old movies with gorgeous American actresses.


There is still another month to see American Woman. This is a show not be missed.






Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment